Real Madrid show their experience, edge past City on penalties

Real Madrid secured a dramatic penalty shootout victory over Manchester City to reach the Champions League semi-finals for the fourth year in a row. This is the first time they’ve ever won away against City in the competition.

The game at the Etihad Stadium started cautiously, a surprise after the high-scoring first leg in Madrid. Real Madrid surprised everyone by taking an early lead through Rodrygo in the 15th minute. City almost replied immediately with a header from Erling Haaland, but it cannoned off the crossbar.

Kevin De Bruyne threatened for City with a couple of long-range efforts before halftime, but Real Madrid’s defense held firm. The second half saw a more aggressive City side, with Jack Grealish and Phil Foden testing Andriy Lunin in the Real Madrid goal.

Real Madrid employed some clever tactics to slow down the game, frustrating the home crowd but achieving their goal of stifling City’s attack. Jérémy Doku came on as a substitute for City and his cross led to an equalizer from De Bruyne in the 75th minute.

READ MORE: Manchester City vs Real Madrid: Official lineups

Both teams had chances to win in normal time, with De Bruyne missing a sitter for City and Antonio Rüdiger fluffing a great opportunity for Real Madrid in extra time. The match went to penalties for the first time in a Champions League quarter-final since 2004.

Real Madrid emerged victorious in the shootout, with Lunin making key saves from Bernardo Silva and Mateo Kovačić. Rüdiger converted the winning penalty to send Real Madrid through to the semi-finals, where they will face Bayern Munich. This win puts them one step closer to a record-extending 15th European title.

Man of the Match: Nacho Fernández (Real Madrid)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

    Inter’s dilemma: Thuram’s €95 million release clause and potential summer sale

    Player Ratings: Bayern Munich 1-0 Arsenal (Agg 3-2)